King is dedicated to preparing its students to thrive in a rapidly changing world.
We provide an excellent, progressive education, grounded in the traditional disciplines of the arts and sciences, committed to the nurturing of individual potential, and designed to promote critical thinking and reasoned reflection. Using rich and innovative methods, our Teachers facilitate each student’s fullest academic and personal achievement. We champion the development of character, self-confidence, and talent through challenging intellectual, creative, athletic, leadership, and service opportunities.
King believes that individual accomplishment must go hand in hand with respect for others. Our culture of respect fosters collaboration as well as independence. We embrace human and cultural diversity. We value responsible citizenship.
King graduates are well equipped to succeed in college and to pursue lives of ongoing inquiry, learning, accomplishment, personal fulfillment and social responsibility.
(Approved by the King Board of Trustees, June 7, 2011)
Educational and Curricular Philosophy
At King, we believe that our students bring a unique blend of interests and talents to the educational experience. The Faculty designs a variety of programs that inspire individuality through the process of intellectual, physical, creative, emotional, and social inquiry and expression.
The King curriculum is comprised of opportunities that promote the development of intellectual ability; communication and problem solving skills; an awareness of the complexities of our ever-changing world; and an appreciation of and responsibility for others.
Implementation of our Mission and Philosophy
To achieve the ideals of our Mission and realize the aspirations of our Philosophy, the King community:
- Commits itself to educational excellence in a student-centered environment that encourages the development of the uniqueness of each student
- Fosters a progressive educational community rooted in the virtues of respect, civility, and compassion
- Offers a wide range of academic, artistic, athletic, service, and cultural opportunities appropriate to the needs of individual students
- Cultivates a Faculty committed to ongoing professional growth and renewal
- Implements a variety of teaching methodologies and provides meaningful and challenging assessments to help students create meaning and derive understanding
- Welcomes and values a wide range of perspectives engendered by the diversity of our community – both local and global
- Engages parents and collaborates with them as partners in their child’s academic and personal maturation.
Diversity Policy Statement
Diversity is a core value at King. At King, we are enriched through our appreciation of diversity’s many faces including gender, race, ethnicity, religion, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, age, physical ability, talent, or learning style. By honoring cultural differences and intellectual diversity, we create a vibrant learning community where each person is valued.
King values a community in which each individual strives for wisdom and goodness found in a deep understanding of equity, fairness, and cultural inclusion. Rooted in respect and personal responsibility, the School’s culture offers a supportive and reflective environment that embraces diversity as central to educational excellence. We honor these values as essential to preparing our students for lives of leadership and achievement in our global society.
At King, we support our commitment with action. We work to build a community that is truly diverse. Proactively and consistently, we challenge stereotypes, create awareness, and develop educational programs that are informed by, and responsive to, our values. We model these values in the School’s activities and affairs. We arm our students with an understanding and appreciation for diversity that prepares them to be thoughtful and successful citizens of the world.